The truth is you don't need fancy gizmos to do scientific molding. All you need is a machine where you can read the settings, an accurate weigh scale, and a computer. A universal setup guide only needs a little homework on your part to read each machine's manual and the ability to read the settings.
If you'd like, you can pay $1250 to get a Universal Setup Guide and Viscosity Curve calculator. But you would have spent $1220 too much for the same information you can get here. If you had a few days and an engineering textbook you could actually write these yourself! It is not magic.
This will walk you through the HOW and WHY of several easy experiments that will allow you to optimize each portion of the molding cycle. The spreadsheets are all fill-in-the-blank. Your computer does all the calculations.
This is book with an accompanying CD. The CD contains both filled in tutorials showing what inputs are required and worksheets for you to fill in.
This book is also available in a download version.
Spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel .xls files
- Optimum fill calculation the melt viscosity curve
- Gate Freeze off
- Cooling time
- Cavity balance for multi cavity tools
- Cp CpK calculator
- Universal setup sheet includes how to translate from one machine to another and a waterline map
- Runner size optimization
Microsoft Word .doc Files:
- Mold Check List
- Mold History/Maintenance forms
- The text includes a complete explanation of the experiments to optimize your injection molding cycle
Other topics include:
- Mold Maintenance -- Inspection and General Maintenance
- Mold hang and Mold Pull procedures
- Mold Storage
- Basic Chemistry
- Quality Control/ Quality Assurance -- Cp and CpK explained and how to use them
- Sizing Sprues, Nozzles and Runners for your mold
- Hard Copy of the Mold Check List, Mold History and a Data Form to fill out for the experiments
Here's what one company said:
"As far as the books go I can sum up my thoughts in one word. WOW! Finally someone who takes a no B.S. approach to molding. A little bit of knowledge can do a lot of people some good."
-- Rick Puglielli, President
Promold Plastics, Cromwell, CT 06416